Thursday, March 13, 2008

Reflection on Hong Kong’s Amended Copyright Law

I think it is sensible for the teachers or educationalists to copy a short clip of a film as a teaching aid. I always make use of songs and video clips to arouse students’ interest when I address a problem, especially a current issue. Being granted the use of copyright, I can design my teaching materials more flexibly.

It is also fair for the students to use a small portion of a copyright work in their project with acknowledgement of the source of work. However, many pupils in Hong Kong do not know much about it and just copy and paste the whole passage from the web. The school should teach what students should do in order not to infringe copyright.

Besides songs and films, I always adopt news article in my teaching. I have to record the title of the articles I have used and my colleagues tell the publishers at a regular interval. I think it is very convenient for the teachers to make use of the hand-on information in their daily teaching.

No comments: